‘Writing for the World’ Competition
Submit a lesson plan reflecting the global use of English and using original material. You could win free entry to the MaWSIG 2018 PCE in Brighton!
ELT is developing a clearer understanding of who our students are, where they are and what they need. No longer is the focus purely on a limited range of learners and settings. Our 2018 PCE on ‘Writing for the World’ aims to examine the implications of this for materials writers, exploring how ELT materials can reflect the global use of English and how they meet the specific needs of learners in different contexts.
Are you a teacher or emerging writer who has not previously professionally published ELT materials? Have you created materials that fit this broad theme? Then enter our competition to be in with a chance of winning a free ticket to our PCE on 9 April 2018! We are looking for high-quality material that has not been published elsewhere, and we look forward to receiving entries from any ‘newbie’ writers.
Entries should include:
- your full name, email address and IATEFL membership number
- a ready-to-use lesson plan for a 60-minute lesson, including rationale/learning objective(s); information on target learners (age, level, etc.) and teaching context; instructions and timings for tasks; possible extension activities (optional); and answers where appropriate [1–2 pages]
- accompanying material (e.g. worksheet or other). [1–2 pages]
Please limit your submission to four A4 pages at a reasonable font size.
Entries should not include copyrighted content such as published texts or song lyrics. If necessary, please insert in your document a link to the input source. Even better, create your own original content!
Entries will be accepted from 1 September until 30 November 2017.
Please email your entry to email@example.com in an editable format (e.g. .doc, .rtf), and put ‘Writing for the World Competition’ in the subject line.
The writer of the best entry, judged by a panel of MaWSIG committee members, will be awarded free entry to our PCE on ‘Writing for the World’ at IATEFL’s 2018 conference in Brighton. The winning entry will also be made available on the MaWSIG website.
When judging the entries, we will look for:
- a clear connection to ‘Writing for the World’ themes
- realistic and clearly justified objectives
- easy-to-follow instructions for teachers
- an original approach
- appealing and relevant content for the target learners and context described
- an appropriate language / skills focus for the target learners and context described
- a logical flow between tasks or parts of the lesson.
You do not need to be a member of MaWSIG to enter this competition, though we would love to welcome you as a new member!
Only one entry will be accepted per person. The prize is non-transferable, and we cannot offer a cash alternative. MaWSIG reserves the right to not award free entry to any competition entrants if no submissions are deemed to be of suitable quality. Copyright ownership of all entries remains with the submitting authors.