Note: This is a list of upcoming events MaWSIG will hold. For a list of past events, including links to recordings, see here.
IATEFL Pre-Conference Event: Exploring dichotomies, bridging gaps and joining the dots
Monday 16 May 2022, IATEFL Belfast
Following on from 2021’s successful PCE, and maintaining its practical approach, the MaWSIG PCE will explore the various stages that materials travel through on their way to the classroom. Does the route involve bridgeable gaps, or dots we can work to join up more effectively? We’ll be discussing some of the key questions and dichotomies that can crop up along the way. For example:
- What shapes ELT materials more: market demand, pedagogical theory, or research?
- What are the obstacles to making materials inclusive?
- What are the constraints that affect the journey of materials from the initial concept to final product?
- Is it possible to self-publish successfully without the marketing forces of a publishing company behind you?
- Writing materials for our own classroom: how do teachers ensure quality and fit?
Our PCE will include both stimulating talks and time for discussion, as well as plenty of opportunities for reflection and networking.
IATEFL MaWSIG Showcase
Wednesday 18 May 2022, IATEFL Belfast
The IATEFL SIG’s Showcase days are a collection of talks related to the SIG. For convenience, the talks are all held in the same room. At 14.10 we will hold the MaWSIG Open Forum – a chance for you to: hear a summary of MaWSIG’s activities over the past year, ask questions, and input into the SIG’s activities in the future.
You do not need to be a member of MaWSIG to attend any events at the Showcase, including the Open Forum.